Pages

Sunday 20 January 2019

Teaching Algebra using Algebraic Tiles


We have been solving a lot of puzzles like this, which we found in pinterest and face book pages and my little one likes to solve it. It really helped her in learning algebra. 
 I don’t know why we hate algebra, when the pictures are replaced by the alphabets x,y….

 I was thinking about introducing algebraic equations to my daughter and started a conversation like this,

“When I have 2 stamps you have 4,
when I have 3 stamps you have 6,
when I have 4 stamps you have 8,
and when I have 5 stamps you have 10 ….”
She interrupted, “So, I have twice the stamps as that of you
Great, if I have x number of stamps, how many will you have? Let us use ‘x’ instead of any particular number. Ok
2x” she said.
“If I have x stamps and you have 3 more than that…”
x+3
“ if you have 2 fewer than mine”
mm X-2
That’s it. Now she knows how to write pre algebraic equation.   I gave these cards which I downloaded from here to arrange the word phrases and the corresponding equations. She enjoyed it.







Once she was good at forming equations, we started a lesson on how to solve it.  I used very simple single order expressions taken from Singapore primary questions.

Algebra tiles are really helpful in the introductory stage and here are two sample problems.




The second problem



No comments:

Post a Comment